Tuesday, May 2, 2006

A template for strength - for all the powerlifters

Working With the Standard TATE Powerlifting Template

I have used many of the mentioned techniques in my own training and I have seen my numbers go up. I have also gotten away from the DE bench and seen my bench fall. My top end bench or lockout strength is great, right where I want it to be. Where I have slipped is getting heavy weight off my chest. I believe this is because I go away from the Tate model.

For all the powerlifters out there I came across this template today while reading other blogs. If you want to gain strength or compete in powerlifting competitions it is wise to learn from the best and the author of the template is just that. Dave Tate and those at Westside Barbell have been creating national and world class powerlifters for some time now.

Dave Tate Powerlifting Template

3 comments:

Gords said...

OK - I read the document, but I still need clarification of something. In there it mentions that on ME days that you should do 3 lifts at or above 90%. Does he mean you should go for three reps or at least 3 x 1 rep lifts? So say your 1 rep max is 385, does he really expect one to do 3 reps of 350 or more? If so, I have better do alot more ME work to get to that point.

Also - What if your max is done in a shirt? Do you have to do ME work in a shirt too? Otherwise that 90% is quite a feat to obtain.

What are your thoughts on that?

Unknown said...

Helo Gord,
Most of the time these will be done without a shirt, so the 90% starting lift will be a percentage of your raw max. If you only have a shirt max the good news is that the first time you do this ME workout you will set a new raw max. Depending on your shirt I would guess that your raw bench will be about 50lbs lighter thab your shirted max.

Shirt lifts are done as you approach a meet. About a month out from the meet you may want to start doing lifts with the shirt.

The lifts at or above 90% are singles. Think of it as a meet, you get 3 lifts there. The first lift will be around 90%, the next lift will be close to a max, and if all goes well on the past 2 lifts go for a new one rep max. If the lifts did not feel good or you take smaller increases in added weight. I hope that helps.

Gords said...

Yes - that does answer my question. Thanks