Sunday, April 5, 2009

Big Bench - 12 week cycle

Warning: Will be lots of pressing

Build a big bench and even bigger Chest

For those looking to improve their bench I suggest that you follow my workouts over the next 12 weeks. I am not sure how much my bench or yours will go up but I do promise that if you follow the workouts it will increase.

I will have to warn you that if your shoulders are not healthy do not do this program. 
The volume of overhead pressing is huge.  If at any time you feel even the slightest discomfort in the shoulders STOP. 
I would also suggest that you use a narrow grip, with tucked elbows, this will help take the pressure of the shoulders.  If you are prone to shoulder problems it may be a good idea to pass this program by. It may even be a good idea to use dumbbells in place of a bar for the majority of the lifts.make sure you stretch and foam roll everyday. Soft tissue work will help keep you healthy.

The program will be 12 weeks long benching twice a week. I will bench Monday and Thursday. You will need a spot so see if you can find a friend to join in on the fun. What guy does not want a big chest and would not be eager to join in?

I do not have a true 1RM at the moment which kind of messes up the numbers. It would have been smart to get a true max before I started but I do not compete so it does not matter all that much. I may have to adjust the numbers as I go. As it stands now I did 315 for 5 the other day, it was not bad so i know there is more there but that gives me a rough estimate. 315 for 5 has a estimated 1RM from 354 to 367, depending on what formula you use. I have hit 385 in the past and 2 months I hit 365 and that falls within the range so that is what I will use as my starting number.

Good luck and have fun.


Fitness Anywhere

1 comment:

Gina Alajar said...

The picture is hilarious and really funny!