Monday, September 17, 2007

Training to Get Weaker

Weight Training Journal

Two Weeks to Weakness


You may not hear of many people looking to decrease performance in the weight room but my goal over the next two weeks is to lose strength. I want all numbers in all lifts to decrease, the weaker I am the better. Over the next two weeks my objective is to complete 18 very tough workouts. I want to place myself in a position of benign overtrained.

PLANNED training to this extent is referred to as overreaching, or supercompensation. The important aspect of this principle is to stress the body above what you can take then REST. If a athlete or weightlifter refuses to rest disaster will strike. A chronically overtrained person is likely to get injured, sick, mentally breakdown or all of those. So with overreaching, or supercompensation it is vital that trainees rest.

Gains in strength and size are not made in the gym. In fact working out tears muscles apart, the body is breaking down. Gains are made only when the body rests and receives proper nutrition. The food and resting allows the body to heal, grow, and adapt to the stress it has experienced in the gym or on the playing field. Without proper sleep and nutrition all the time in the weightroom is a waste.

Without proper rest and nutrition you will enter a state of overtraining. This condition is not desirable and can take a long time to recover from and can ruin a career . Overreaching is beneficial helping some breakthrough plateaus and only requires a few days to a week to recover from.

For the next two weeks I have planned to overreach, then take a week off to rest and recover then return to the gym the following week and see new gains in all my lifts. I am not looking forward to the next two weeks as I am sure it will hurt, but I am looking forward to the results that will follow.

All the best in your weight and programs.
Jason, CSCS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting concept! I promote women's weight lifting; do you think women can benefit just as much from this workout plan? Good luck!

Unknown said...

Taylor;
Thanks for the visit and question. Women can expect to see results from this kind of workout. I will write a post about women and weight training and get into slightly more detail.