Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Building a Lifting Platform - a few Pictures

Weight Training Journal




As you may know I am in the process of building a workout area/studio in my home with a platform in it.

Here are a few pictures of the work in progress. The first picture is of the soon to be platform lifting surface. It is plywood made of oak veneers. This gives me a nice hard surface without the price. I treated the surface with a poly stain combo. I did 2 coats but no sanding as I did not want a slick smooth surface, I do not to slip and fly off. The "good" wood is glued and screwed to a piece of 3/4" plywood. These two pieces can be screwed from the bottom this allows you to but all kinds of screws in it and only have a few holes in your surface piece.




This second photo is the base under construction. I used 3/4" plywood for this and 2x4 on edge for trim. The 2x4 did two things for me, fist it allowed me to true up the plywood as it had a slight bow in it and second it will give me a little edge that will hope stop or at least slow down any missed lifts. I do not want the weight to roll of and put a hole in the wall.



All the best in your weight and programs.
Jason, CSCS

1 comment:

Wesley said...

Hey Jason,

Love what your doing man, I get questions all the time about what home gym equipment is best for their home gym but never about a workout area. I think this is often overlooked by people looking to get a home gym together and it isn't until the gym is in place they realize that their floors are getting a pounding. Keep up the hard work, looking forward to seeing the end result.

Home Gym Equipment Reviews